Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Days of Our Lives & General Hospital: Big Reveals or A Competition of the Ridiculous?

Whenever I watch Days of Our Lives or General Hospital these days I can’t help but wonder if they are having a competition to see which can have the most ridiculous plot point writing and “twists”. Normally, I would say Bob Guza and team would have GH winning this competition hands down, since nobody does “Rip Yourself Off and Call It a Twist” quite like Guza does, but lately Dena Higley’s Days seem to be giving Guza’s GH a run for its money. Case in point, both Days and GH gave us “big” reveals over the last couple of episodes and both had me scratching my head at the stupidity of it all.

On Days of Our Lives, the answer to the most uninteresting mystery in Salem history was revealed – who switched Chloe’s paternity results. There were many obvious, logical choices to this, but why do logical when Higley & Co. can gives us the ridiculous instead. Caroline Brady switched the paternity test. REALLY? You might be asking yourself what could possibly be her motive? Well, I’ve watched it twice now and I’m still not exactly sure. From what I can piece together we are expected to believe, Caroline a) wants Stephanie to be happy with Nathan and damn the consequences of the lies, b) thinks no more Kiriakises should be brought into the world, c) she’s pissed at Victor for going after Maggie. Okay, so c), I just through in there but honestly it makes more sense to me than the bridge in Brooklyn that the tptb are trying to sell me as a motive. I hope Caroline realizes that Kiriakis is still a Kiriakis, even if you call it a Jonas - or a Brady. Sigh.

The sad thing is that this isn’t the most ridiculous part of the “twist”; the most ridiculous part comes in the explanation of how she did it. Apparently, Caroline volunteers in the bookkeeping part of the hospital and that allowed her to change the results without a problem because the password works for everything in the hospital. WHAT?!!! Not only is that beyond ridiculous that the accountants have access to patient charts and lab results, but you’d think the hospital where Sami Brady has been changing paternity results for years would have a better security system than that!! There is suspension of disbelief and than there is expecting your audience to have all gotten lobotomies recently. Honestly, with the way these people are writing all the women on this show, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that someone slipped cases of Hope’s crazy inducing sleeping pills into the Salem water supply!

Now, looking at General Hospital, the big reveal of the connection between Brenda and Dante was revealed. Yes, it is as most of us expected, Brenda killed a man in self-defense and Dante covered it up. Whoop-di-freaking-do! I know Bob Guza has problems remembering the past on GH, since that must be why he regularly writes the same thing over and over and then tells us we’ll never guess what’s going to happen, but I don’t understand why this secret is supposed to affect characters the way it seems to be. For example, Brenda can’t be with Sonny because of this secret – why? Does she think Sonny’s going to care that Dante buried a body for her? Please, he’s done worse for her and he tries to get Dante to cover for him on a pretty consistent basis. Why is this a deal breaker? Also, while I know killing someone – and now having killed someone else should affect Brenda, I’m not quite sure why it is affecting her the way it is. Does Guza remember that Brenda and Sonny’s romance really started with her digging a bullet out of him and nursing him back to health? Or how about the time she was shot at it in the shower? Or the time that they we’re running for their lives in Puerto Rico. Seriously, I could fill pages listing all the encounters with violence she has had over the years – and that’s not even including dating Louiz Alcazar. Basically, what I’m saying is if she can survive an on-and-off again romance with Sonny Corinthos, this big secret should be a walk in the park.

I guess after further reflection, Days probably wins the ridiculous contest in this case, considering I didn’t even know Grandma Brady knew how to use email let alone switch a paternity test. But not to worry, I sure Guza will be back on top in no time – especially if he keeps dragging out this Crazy Lisa story. Seriously, somebody save me from that mess – please!!

No comments:

Post a Comment