Friday, November 5, 2010

General Hospital: Out of the Mouth of Edward

While watching General Hospital yesterday, I was excited to see that I was getting my quarterly Quartermaine sighting, and if you don't believe me, just ask any one on Twitter last night. However, Edward pretty much nailed my feelings about how the Quatermaines are used these days with this quote: “I cannot believe that the Quartermaines have been reduced to catering to the likes of Luke Spencer! God, this is a sorry day…” It is depressing to see that Guza only trots out the Quartermaines to prop this copy & paste dialogue that is the romance of Luke Spencer and Tracy Quartermaine. I get it, Tracy gets annoyed with Luke a lot and Luke likes his booze and cigars and will fake heart attacks to stay with Tracy and then he will leave later for some stupid reason – if they bother to give a reason. I’ve been there, done that and have a box full of t-shirts! The Quartermaines used to squabble together and run a billion dollar business and steal that business from each other, they used to be doctors who actually got air time, they used to be ALIVE and eat pizza at Thanksgiving! Now we get the shell of the Qs trotted out to prop up the shell of Luke Spencer. Talk about depressing.

Not to fear though Quartermaine fans, Guza can also bring the Qs out to prop Brenda as well. We finally got a Brenda and Edward scene, which I was actually happy to see – I just wish it had been longer and a not a check on the checklist of people who need to be in the presence of the great Brenda. Anyway, they talked about Lila and how NBC wouldn’t Vanessa stop by for the funeral – I mean how Brenda wrote Edward a nice letter when she couldn’t make it. Then Edward gave her a memento from Lila – off screen. Yeah, would have actually liked to have seen that, but silly me, why would I want some actual character stuff for Brenda when I watch her try not to tell Jason her big secret – whatever! Sigh.

Now, this week, head writer Bob Guza said in an interview that the Quartermaines would be getting a storyline soon. I wish I could believe him, but alas I cannot. I have a box full of t-shirts with that promise on it too. Monica’s drinking problem or Jake’s paternity reveal anyone? Besides, the only type of Quartermaine story Guza knows how to write these days is one that involves killing one of them off and I believe we can all agree we’ve had enough of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment